Sunday, May 2, 2010

Respone to Kelly Video and Keen's Solutions

It was a shock to learn the world wide web is only 5,000 days old, still a teenager. I thought Kelly's statement that we have to get good at believing the impossible is just, as I am more and more surprised and impressed with the overall efficacy of the internet. In order to really appreciate the power we possess we must take a step back. Kelly's statement about Googling things instead of simply remembering them echoes my sentiment in this regard; we have the answers to millions of questions at our fingertips. Even as im writing this entry I witnesses something interesting, in the previous sentence the word "Googling" did not come up as an incorrectly spelled word, this is just another example of the far reaching effects the internet employs. I found most of Kelly's presentation pleasant and informative if only a little redundant until he began to compare the human brain to the internet. The possible rise of artificial intelligence is often romanticized by hollywood, and yet Kelly made this subject tangible by adding statistics to the equation. The thought that the internet will exceed human processing power in its entirety is somewhat ominous to say the least. Continuing to add to my growing sense of foreboding was Kelly's message of the Mcluhan Reversal. The cliched image of human enslavement at the hands of machines is what is conjured up in my head stemming from Kelly's phrasing, "humans will be extended senses of machines..." I understand the point being made, yet the question that has been haunting me since watching the presentation is, "who is using who?" At which point does artificial intelligence begin to use us for information and not vice versa? Yes, this is obviously my paranoia being made clear, but it is something that I think is in the back of everyone's minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment